Your timber windows are the eyes of your house and are responsible for making your home decor look attractive. It is one of the most important architectural features, which helps in making every house look decorated. It is your responsibility to maintain and restore the timber windows so that you can improve the beauty of your house. The features and proportions of the timber windows are responsible for defining several architectural styles. According to https://www.entrepreneur.com, people prefer moving to modern window facilities for luxury, but that is not necessary because luxury can be achieved through timber windows as well.
Given below is a list of how you can consider maintaining your timber sash windows.
Understanding the warning signs
Despite the beauty and importance of timber, most people neglect the timber windows, which can lead to several unwanted problems. When you are repairing your windows regularly, you are helping the character, history, as well as the value of your house to remain perfect. You need to make sure that you are looking for:
- Broken cords
- Damaged and loose Hinges
- Loose joints
- Peeling paintwork
- Rattles and droughts
- Rotten timber
- Difficulty in opening the window
- Broken or cracked glass
Retain glass as well as original timber as and when possible. You need to understand that the common areas where rots can form include window sills, lower sections of your window frame, and bottom of the sash boxes. As the years pass, the joints of the windows start becoming loose. You need to make sure that you are using brass screws or stainless steel. Given below is a list of the additional actions that you can consider taking.
- Strengthen the corners of your windows with metal brackets.
- Apply glue to the joints by making use of exterior grade adhesive.
- Make sure that you are checking for catches, hinges, and locks. Make sure that you are realigning, repair, as well as lubricate them, as and when necessary.
- Ensure that you are wiping the glass and cleaning dirt, mildew, as well as pollen from timber.
Paint your window frames
Painting your windows is also a great way of maintaining your windows. It is undoubtedly one of the best ways of preventing moisture from entering your house. If you are not protecting timber, it is going to rot as well as swell. It is suggested that you consider using natural linseed oil to protect your timber windows. Consider the following tips when you are painting your sash windows.
- Cut the rotten wood and ensure that you are making repairs.
- Sand down, and make sure that you are cleaning and preparing the surfaces.
- You can putty the glazing with linseed oil.
- Make use of good-quality paint.
- Make sure that you avoid painting the draught strips because if you do so, it will prevent them from working appropriately.
- Draught-proofing windows.
- Consider the following tips when draught-proofing your windows.
- Choose the kind as well as the color of the draught seal to make sure that you are getting the best finish.
- Try to stay away from stick-on draught strips.
It is your responsibility to make sure that you are repairing the windows to maintain the decor of your house. Consider everything that has been mentioned above so that you can maintain your windows perfectly.